Today’s article is can you use aluminum foil to color hair? The primary purpose of aluminum foil is related to heat, as it boosts the temperature of your hair to bleach it. The foil warms your hair, which causes the cuticle to open, allowing the ammonia to enter your hair and change its color.
- It is not always necessary to color your hair using aluminum foil.
- There are just a few color methods that use foil, including highlights and balayage.
- Using foil has many significant benefits. On the one side, you have more control over how long the product remains in your hair.
If we’re discussing aluminum foil, it’s one of the greatest innovations since the creation of dye because it makes dyeing and bleaching hair much simpler.
Because it is a material that is malleable and simple to use. And even better, it’s quite easy to get. Therefore, if you’re considering using aluminum foil in your next coloring or bleaching session, keep reading because I’ll inform you:
- When it is a good idea to color your hair with aluminum foil?
- What kind of aluminum foil should you use to color your hair, and how should it be prepared?
When It Is a Good Idea To Dye Your Hair With Aluminum Foil
As stated in the intro, aluminum foil is used for particular bleaching sections of the hair, such as for highlights or balayage.
- The aluminum foil helps you separate the sections of hair that will be bleached from the remainder of your hair, preventing the bleach from contacting the rest of the hair.
Also, when it’s time to highlight your hair, you should apply the foil. Do you realize why? Because it allows you to skip processing previously highlighted areas. You would also use aluminum foil if you wanted to protect a section of your hair so that you could color just a portion of it.
Therefore, if you just want to color one section of your hair, you must separate the hair you do not wish to color and wrap it with aluminum foil. You may then color the remainder of your hair, working gently around the foil-wrapped sections.
What Kind Of Aluminum Foil Should You Use To Color Your Hair, and How Should It Be Prepared?
Another important consideration when using aluminum foil is the kind of foil you use, especially its thickness and resistance. The idea is to use a material that is sufficiently resistant to the chemical components of the dye yet malleable enough to keep the appropriate sections of your hair separated.
- Fold approximately the final inch of foil at your roots to ensure that it remains in place.
This will make the end twice as strong and ensure that the dye or bleach mixture is contained.
- Depending on the hair length you’re dealing with, you’ll need to trim the foil into manageable strips prior to starting the dyeing or bleaching process.
Typically, you should work with strips 5 to 7 inches wide and 10 to 15 inches long.
Since you will need to fold the foil to wrap your hair, it should be twice as long as your hair. Instead of folding a super-long piece of foil, you can use two pieces of foil that are the same length as your hair to create a foil sandwich on your hair if you have extremely long hair.